Mengqiu (Matthew) (FRGS, FRSS, MCIHT, MTPS, MTCPA, MTSUG, MAET) is a Senior Lecturer in Transport and Urban Planning at the University of Westminster, and he is now also working part-time at UCL. He was previously a Research/Teaching Assistant and a Guest Lecturer at the Bartlett School of Planning, University College London (UCL), and a Visiting Lecturer at the Department of Planning and Transport, University of Westminster. He has worked in academia and industry in an interdisciplinary research field, which is primarily a mixture of transport analysis and urban planning. His current research interests include: transport planning; integrated urban planning and sustainable transport development; social equity and travel vulnerability; statistics and transport modelling; transport and climate change; freight transport and logistics; transport economics; travel behaviour, behavioural economics and well-being. In addition, he has also worked with public authorities and international funding organisations. He has been selected as the UK Ambassador for the Association of European Transport.
- Cao, M. and Hickman, R. (2019). Understanding travel and differential capabilities and functionings in Beijing. Transport Policy, 83, pp. 46–56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tranpol.2019.08.006
- Cao, M. and Hickman, R. (2019). Urban transport and social inequities in neighbourhoods near underground stations in Greater London. Transportation Planning and Technology, 42(5), pp. 419–441. https://doi.org/10.1080/03081060.2019.1609215
- Cao, M. and Hickman, R. (2019). Transport, Social Equity and Capabilities in East Beijing. In: Chen, C.-L., Pan, H., Shen, Q. and Wang, J. (eds.) Handbook on Transport and Urban Transformation in China. London: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Cuthill, N., Cao, M., Liu, Y., Gao, X. and Zhang Y. (2019). The association between urban public transport infrastructure and social equity and spatial accessibility within the urban environment: An investigation of Tramlink in London. Sustainability, 11(5), p. 1229. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11051229
- Spurling, D., Spurling J. and Cao. M. (2019). Transport Economics Matters: Applying Economic Principles to Transportation in Great Britain. Boca Raton: Brown Walker Press.
- Shammut, M., Cao, M., Zhang, Y., Papaix, C., Liu, Y. and Gao, X. (2019). Banning diesel vehicles in London: Is 2040 too late?. Energies, 12(18), p. 3495. http://doi.org/10.3390/en12183495
- Song, Z., Cao, M., Han, T. and Hickman, R. (2019). Public transport accessibility and housing value uplift: Evidence from the Docklands Light Railway in London. Case Studies on Transport Policy, 7(3), pp. 607–616. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.cstp.2019.07.001
- Cao, M. and Hickman, R. (2018). Car dependence and housing affordability: An emerging social deprivation issue in London. Urban Studies, 55(10), 2088–2105. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042098017712682
- Hickman, R., Lopez, N., Cao, M., Mella-Lira, B. and Biona, J.B. (2018). “I Drive outside of Peak Time to Avoid Traffic Jams—Public Transport Is Not Attractive Here.” Challenging Discourses on Travel to the University Campus in Manila. Sustainability, 10(5), p. 1462. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10051462
- Cao, M., Chen, C-L. and Hickman, R. (2017). Transport emissions in Beijing: A scenario planning approach. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Transport, 170(2), 65–75. https://doi.10.1680/jtran.15.00093
- Hickman, R., Cao, M., Mella-Lira, B., Fillone, A. and Biona, J.B. (2017). Understanding capabilities, functionings and travel in high and low income neighbourhoods in Manila. Social Inclusion, 5(4), 161–174. https://doi.org/10.17645/si.v5i4.1083